FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 7, 2022
TOWN OF DAVIE TO HOST SHRED-A-THON AND PRESCRIPTION DRUG DROP-OFF EVENT ON SATURDAY, MAY 7, 2022
Shenandoah Park Will Close for the Duration of the Event
DAVIE, Fla. – On Saturday, May 7, 2022, the Town of Davie will host a free Shred-A-Thon and Prescription Drug Drop-off event for Davie residents. The event is open for residents interested in getting personal and confidential documents destroyed and provides an avenue to dispose of medications safely.
The event will occur at Shenandoah Park, 14452 Shenandoah Parkway, Davie, FL 33325. The collection will occur from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., or until the disposal trucks reach capacity.
To accommodate the event, please note that all park amenities, including the playgrounds, basketball court, fields, splash pad, tennis court and shelter will be closed from 9 a.m. through 1 p.m. The park will reopen to the public at 1 p.m.
Residents can bring up to five standard-sized boxes (15x12x10) per vehicle for shredding.
Accepted items for shredding include, but are not limited to:
- Pay stubs
- Canceled checks
- Financial and credit card statements
- Bill statements
- Old tax filings
- Social security numbers
Items NOT accepted for shredding include, but are not limited to:
- Metal hanging folders
- Binder clips
Shredding personal or sensitive documents can help prevent personal information from falling into the wrong hands.
The prescription drug drop-off event allows residents to properly dispose of unwanted prescription drugs per federal and state laws and regulations.
Accepted prescription items for disposal include, but are not limited to:
- Prescription medications and samples
- All over-the-counter medications
- Pet medications
- Medicated ointment tubes
- Liquid medication in leakproof containers
Items NOT acceptable for prescription disposal include, but are not limited to:
- Bloody or infectious waste
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Aerosol cans
- IV bags
Businesses are prohibited from using this event to shred documents. In addition, medical institutions such as nursing homes, doctor’s offices, or other healthcare facilities are prohibited from using this event to dispose of prescriptions.
To participate in this event, residents must bring proof of Davie residency (photo ID and a document that shows their official address, such as a tax bill, a TRIM notice, voter registration, utility bill, or another official government-issued document).
Residents attending the event must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Always stay in your vehicle.
- Place documents for shredding in the trunk or the vehicle's cargo area. Staff will unload your car.
- Have the trunk/cargo area unlocked or have the ability to open/unlock from the inside of your vehicle to limit interaction.
- Please be sure to remove any items not intended for disposal.
- Masks are encouraged.
For more information or to view additional event dates, visit www.davie-fl.gov/wasteandrecycling or email [email protected].
Directions from I-595:
- Take I-595 West towards Exit 1 SW 136th Ave.
- Merge onto FL-84 West
- Use the left two lanes to turn left onto SW 136th Ave.
- Turn right onto Shenandoah Parkway
- Turn left into Shenandoah Park, 14452 Shenandoah Parkway, Davie, FL 33325
Leona Henry, Intergovernmental Affairs Manager
Sussette Rodriguez, Public Relations Coordinator
Ariana Briceno, Public Relations Assistant