FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NOVEMBER 8, 2020
TROPICAL STORM ETA UPDATE #5
DAVIE DECLARES LOCAL STATE OF EMERGENCY; FLOOD AND TROPICAL STORM WARNINGS IN EFFECT; TOWN SERVICES OFFERED VIRTUALLY; PARK CLOSURES
DAVIE, Fla., - At an emergency Town Council Meeting held today, November 8, 2020, the Davie Town Council gave the Mayor the authority to declare a local State of Emergency. No local State of Emergency has been declared at this time. The State of Florida and Broward County has also issued a state of emergency for Broward County including Davie.
As conditions surrounding Tropical Storm Eta continues to deteriorate, the most hazardous time is from late this afternoon through Monday afternoon. Damaging winds, flooding rains, tornados, & the possibility of life-threatening storm surge are all concerns for residents. As Eta approaches South Florida, it will be near hurricane strength. Please be reminded not to focus on the exact forecast track of the storm since strong winds and heavy rainfall extend well away from the center.
Davie remains under a Tropical Storm Warning. A Tropical Storm Warning means that tropical storm conditions are expected somewhere within the warning area within 36 hours.
- All Town of Davie governmental services, except for Public Safety, will be offered virtually, tomorrow, November 8, 2020. For a list of departments and divisions, visit https://www.davie-fl.gov/Directory.aspx.
- All Town parks will close at 3 p.m. today, November 8, 2020, and will remain closed through Monday, November 9, 2020.
- The Pine Island Fitness and Aquatic Center will be closed on Monday, November 9, 2020.
Residential Garbage and Recycling Services
Communities scheduled for residential trash collection and recycling services on Monday, November 9, 2020, should monitor the Town of Davie’s website and social media for updates before putting items curbside for pickup, especially if you live in an area prone to flooding. An update regarding the status of residential trash collection and recycling will be posted on the Town’s website on Sunday, November 8, 2020, at 7 p.m.
Town of Davie Green and Blue Bus Routes
Due to Tropical Storm Eta, please see below operational changes regarding the Town of Dave’s Green and Blue Bus Routes and SFEC Route:
- The Town of Davie’s Green and Blue bus routes will temporary suspend operations on Monday, November 9, 2020.
- The South Florida Education Center (SFEC) Campus Shuttle/Tri-Rail Route will temporarily suspend operations on Monday, November 9, 2020.
Broward County Public School
Due to high winds and flooding from Tropical Storm Eta, all classes on Monday, November 9, 2020, will be conducted via BCPS eLearning. Students should log in to Canvas and follow a normal class schedule. Bus transportation is suspended and before and after school activities are canceled. Schools and administrative sites are operating remotely but buildings are closed. Please stay safe and check back for updates at browardschools.com/stormresourcecenter.
Florida Power & Light Company (FPL)
FPL expects potential for widespread outages and severe weather for several days as a result of Tropical Storm Eta; a restoration team of approximately 10,000 ready to respond as the storm approaches South Florida
Avoid Flood Dangers
- Do not walk through, swim, or allow children to play in standing water. Puddles and standing water are full of hidden dangers, including snakes and other wildlife, broken glass, and other sharp objects.
- Do not drive through standing water. Your car engine may stall, potentially causing irreparable damage to the engine. The wake from your car may cause additional flooding in nearby homes and other structures. If you come upon a flooded street, take an alternate route. Stay off bridges over fast-moving water.
- Turn Around, Don’t Drown. Just six inches of moving water can knock you down, and one foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
There are multiple ways to register and stay informed about important information from the Town of Davie before, during, and after an emergency event:
The Town of Davie is committed to ensuring the safety of all persons and we are calling on you to prepare with us. Knowing your risk, getting prepared, and staying informed are just a few steps you can take.
Leona Henry, Intergovernmental Affairs Manager
Sussette Rodriguez, Public Relations Coordinator
If you do not wish to receive Town of Davie news releases, please email [email protected] and request that your email address be removed from this list.