FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
OCTOBER 26, 2020
DAVIE FIRE RESCUE RECEIVES 2020 INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF FIRE CHIEFS (IAFC) HEART SAFE COMMUNITY AWARD
DAVIE, Fla. - On October 19, 2020, the Town of Davie Fire Rescue Department was awarded the 2020 International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) Heart Safe Community Award. The department was unanimously selected by the association’s evaluators as this year's recipient.
This award is presented to fire service-based Emergency Medical Services (EMS) agencies that have played a key role in improving the quality of out-of-hospital treatment of heart disease, sudden cardiac arrest (SCA), and resuscitation efforts. Davie Fire Rescue received this award for the successful implementation of the following:
- Dispatcher recognition and telephone cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) instructions
- Bystander CPR – All Town employees are trained in CPR/AED and monthly training opportunities are conducted for residents.
- AED deployment – The Town has a robust Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Ordinance since 2008.
- Conducted high-performance, team-based resuscitation – Davie Fire Rescue staff conducted the first Florida based resuscitation academy and assisted with several other academies throughout the State. The academy includes a team based approach to heart attack/cardiac arrest with high performance CPR. When the fire rescue personnel have a patient in cardiac arrest the fire rescue personnel implement these improved CPR procedures. There are currently 21 cardiac arrest survivors that are alive today based on the new techniques.
- Partnered with local hospitals to improve outcomes – Davie Fire Rescue has worked with our local hospitals to gather feedback and get continuous quality improvement data.
- Created public education programs to increase awareness and prevention of sudden cardiac arrest and heart attacks.
The IAFC represents the leadership of firefighters and emergency responders worldwide; its members are the world's leading experts in firefighting, EMS, terrorism response, hazardous materials spills, natural disasters, search and rescue, and public safety policy.
This recognition was presented to the Town of Davie to credit the hard work the Davie Fire Rescue personnel do every day to provide excellent care to its patients.
“The dedication from our Fire Rescue Department to serve our residents and businesses is insurmountable,” Town of Davie Mayor Judy Paul said. “This award is just another beacon that grounds my belief that Davie truly is the best place to live.”
Leona Henry, Intergovernmental Affairs Manager
Email: [email protected]
Sussette Rodriguez, Public Relations Coordinator
Email: [email protected]
If you do not wish to receive Town of Davie news releases please email [email protected] and request that your email address be removed from this list.