FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JULY 17, 2020
COVID-19 UPDATE 55
EMERGENCY ORDER 20-22 ISSUED; BROWARD COUNTY IMPLEMENTS CURFEW STARTING TONIGHT; NEW RESTRICTIONS TO HELP LIMIT LARGE SOCIAL GATHERINGS
DAVIE, Fla. – Broward County Administrator Bertha Henry has issued Emergency Order 20-22, which implements a curfew effective tonight and adds new restrictions to help curtail large social gatherings, including house parties, street parties, and other activities that are contributing to the community spread of COVID-19.
New restrictions include:
- Curfew – Effective July 17, 2020 at 11 p.m. through August 1, 2020, all of Broward County is under a curfew from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. Exemptions to the curfew include: active duty police, fire rescue, first responders, news media, delivery or transportation drivers, government employees, persons seeking emergency medical care and medical, health care, and utility service personnel. Also exempt are individuals traveling to and from their place of employment, returning to their homes after commercial travel, and persons walking their pets within 250 feet of their residence.
- Private Gatherings – Effective immediately, private gatherings at a residential property, single-family or otherwise, indoors and/or outdoors, are limited to no more than 10 individuals. Persons present at such gatherings shall be individually liable for violations of this Order and subject to civil and criminal penalties. The owner(s) of the residential property are also liable for violations that occur on their property, whether or not they are in residence or on site at the time of the violation. Residents of any private residential property, whether they own or rent, must ensure all persons on their property comply with the guidelines, subject to civil and criminal penalties.
- Vacation Rentals – Short-term vacation rentals that are not actively managed by on-site owners or on-site management companies with staffing or security on site 24 hours a day to enforce compliance with all the requirements, are not permitted to operate, effective for check-ins commencing on or after July 20, 2020, through August 20, 2020.
- Restaurant Operations – Ordering food or beverage from a bar counter is strictly prohibited. Effective immediately, restaurant patrons must order and consume food and drinks at a table, following all other requirements as outlined in previously issued operating guidelines.
- Gym and Fitness Center Operations – Effective immediately, all persons shall wear a facial covering at all times while using or visiting a gym or fitness center, including while exercising.
- Signage Requirements – Effective July 20, 2020, at 12:01 a.m., owners, operators and landlords of commercial property at which any retail, restaurant or food establishment is located must ensure compliance by those establishments with the signage requirements of Emergency Order 20-17, and must also ensure the required signage is conspicuously posted in common areas of the property such as mall entrances, food courts and hallways.
Individuals in our community have a personal responsibility to adhere to the guidelines and do their part to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. The new Order strongly recommends that any person who tests positive for COVID-19, or who is experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19, immediately:
- self-isolate to the greatest extent possible and avoid contact with any other person
- avoid visiting establishments and amenities except when medically necessary
- avoid the use of common areas such as shared kitchens, laundry rooms or recreational facilities, especially in shared housing or multi-housing developments
Businesses in our community must adhere to the guidelines governing their operations, and patrons of reopened business are encouraged to report violations, which may result in warnings, citations, fines and/or business closures. Through July 15, County, municipal code and law enforcement teams have issued 57 citations and 768 warnings. Residents are urged to call 311 or visit MyBroward.Broward.org to anonymously report violations.
The new Order also updates the following attachments for business guidance: Attachment 2 (Restaurants and Food Establishments); Attachment 5 (Movie Theaters); Attachment 6 (Community Rooms, Fitness Centers and Gyms in Housing Developments); and Attachment 14 (Commercial Gyms and Fitness Centers).
To help residents understand the magnitude of the pandemic in Broward County, a daily statistical dashboard of COVID-19 indicators (e.g. number of cases, positivity rates, hospitalizations, hospital capacities, and deaths) has been posted on the Broward County Website.
Leona Henry, Intergovernmental Affairs Manager
Sussette Rodriguez, Public Relations Coordinator
If you do not wish to receive Town of Davie news releases please email [email protected] and request that your email address be removed from this list.