FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MARCH 16, 2020.
COVID-19 UPDATE #5:
DAVIE TOWN HALL CLOSES UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE;
RESIDENTS ENCOURAGED TO COMMUNICATE WITH STAFF VIA PHONE AND EMAIL;
MARCH 18, 2020 TOWN COUNCIL AND CRA MEETINGS CANCELED.
DAVIE, Fla. – Effective, today, March 16, 2020, at 5 p.m., the Town of Davie will be closing all Town facilities to the public. Residents can continue to contact Town departments through telephone or email. Department and staff directory can be found on our website at www.davie-fl.gov. In addition, the March 18, 2020 Town Council and CRA meetings have been canceled. The next scheduled meetings are April 1, 2020. We encourage residents to reduce exposure to large gatherings and if possible, stay home.
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts
- Pine Island Multipurpose Center, Aquatics and Fitness Center and Davie Road Arena are closed until further notice.
- Parks, open space and trails will be open from 9 a.m. to 7 pm. Park restrooms will not be open.
- Davie Golf and Country Club remains open.
- All organized activities including adult and youth sports, travel sports, recreation programming, senior activities and aftercare are suspended.
- Town-sponsored special events are canceled for month of March 2020.
Town Meetings and Advisory Committees/Boards
- The March 18, 2020, Town Council and CRA meetings have been canceled.
- Planning and Zoning Board, Site Plan Committee, and all advisory committee meetings are canceled until further notice
- Pre-bid and pre-proposal procurement meetings will be held via teleconferencing.
- Quarterly vendor training sessions are suspended until further notice.
Presidential Preference Primary Election – March 17, 2020
As Florida prepares for the 2020 Presidential Preference Primary Elections, all polling sites will be open on Tuesday, March 17, 2020, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. All voting precincts at Town facilities will be open for the primary elections. These facilities include:
- Davie Police Athletic League, 4300 SW 57th Terrace
- Ivanhoe Fire Station Community Room, 6101 SW 148th Avenue
- Old Davie School Historical Museum, 6650 Griffin Road
- Pine Island Multipurpose Center, 3801 S. Pine Island Road
- Robbins Lodge Community Hall, 4005 Hiatus Road
- Shenandoah Community Center, 14601 SW 14th Street
Broward County Public Schools
Please take note that Broward County Public Schools are temporarily closed effective March 16, 2020. For further information regarding public schools, please go to www.browardschools.com/coronavirus.
College and Universities In Davie
Broward College, Florida Atlantic University and University of Florida have suspended course instruction until March 23, 2020. Remote instruction will begin thereafter.
Nova Southeastern University has suspended classes until March 23, 2020. Classes will resume online thereafter.
Publix, Wal-Mart and Winn Dixie – Modified Hours
Publix, Wal-Mart and Winn Dixie have modified their operating hours. All Publix stores will close at 8 p.m. All Winn Dixie stores will close at 9 p.m. 24-hour Wal-Marts will now close at 11 p.m.
Governor DeSantis announced the activation of the Business Damage Assessment Survey to assess the impact of COVID-19 on Florida’s local business operations. The survey evaluates businesses and the impact on the local economy so actions to implement appropriate relief programs can begin including the Small Business Administration (SBA) Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) program.
This program provides up to $2 million to help eligible small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, and most private nonprofit organizations meet financial obligations and operating expenses that could have been met should the pandemic not have occurred. In order to make the loan program available, states must make a request based on the need for a disaster declaration. Once a declaration is granted, the SBA will make the EIDL program available to all affected communities. The Town strongly encourages all businesses to participate in the survey.
The Florida Economic Development Council has launched a hub for economic development resources including Small Business Technical Assistance, Supply Chain Disruption Planning, and Disaster Plan Templates.
Key Points from the Florida Department of Health (FDOH) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC):
- Practice good personal hygiene and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Practice “social distancing.” Read More
- If you are sick, stay home. If you have symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, dry cough, difficulty breathing and/or severe illness), call the Florida Department of Health at 954-412-7300 BEFORE visiting your health care provider, and follow their instructions.
- Be cognizant of the fact that our seniors are among the most vulnerable. Take steps to help protect the elderly from the spread.
- Wash your hands frequently, for at least 20 seconds, using antibacterial soap and hot water. Use hand sanitizer containing at least 60 percent alcohol if soap and hot water are not available.
- DON’T TOUCH your face or directly touch public surfaces such as handrails, elevator buttons, restroom faucets, gasoline pumps, etc.
Please take this opportunity to update or register for Town of Davie related updates and emergency notifications utilizing the following mediums:
For updated information regarding the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) please visit www.floridahealth.gov or www.cdc.gov. If you are concerned that you have been exposed to 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), please call the Florida Department of Health in Broward County at 954-412-7300 and your healthcare provider before traveling to any healthcare facility.
Leona Henry, Intergovernmental Affairs Manager
Sussette Rodriguez, Public Relations Assistant
If you do not wish to receive Town of Davie news releases please email [email protected] and request that your email address be removed from this list.