June 7, 2017 – 12:10 p.m.
Heavy Rainfall Causing Localized Flooding – Residents Urged to Proceed with Caution
The Town of Davie is vigorously working to address areas impacted by flooding and high water levels. The Town remains under a flood watch until 8 PM tonight, June 7. Motorists should use caution when encountering street flooding, adhere to regulatory signs and avoid driving through these areas. In particular, please avoid the following roadways and or areas:
· SW 145 Avenue between SW 14 Street to SW 24 Street
· SW 133 Avenue between SR84 to SW 8 Street
· SW 7 Court between SW 130 Avenue to SW 133 Avenue
Please avoid the areas bounded by the following areas, if possible:
· North – SR 84
· South – Orange Drive
· East – Hiatus Road
· West – Shotgun Road
Sanitary System/Septic Tanks
The Town is urging all residents to conserve water as much as possible especially those residents on septic systems. If the sanitary system becomes overwhelmed, sewage can back up and cause potential overflows into the streets and/or homes. Therefore, please limit dishwashing, clothes washing and other non-essential activities until further notice. The City of Sunrise is aware that the sanitary system is not operating at full capacity and are working to address restore full service at its lift stations. The Town of Davie sanitary system is operational and no issues have been reported.
Resident Safety Tips
Residents are strongly encouraged not to go outside or wade in standing flood water, which can contain contaminants such as sewage and chemicals. Children or pets are strongly discouraged from going outside or playing in flood waters. Following a heavy storm, sharp debris could be hidden in the water and cause injury. Standing water also may contain harmful bacteria that could cause infection. If downed power lines are hidden under standing water, there is the risk of electrocution.
We encourage residents to consider the following actions to minimize loss to your home and to ensure your family’s safety:
• Fill bathtubs, sinks, and jugs with clean water.
• Listen to a battery-operated radio to keep you informed.
• If instructed, turn off all utilities at the main power switch and the main gas valve.
• If told to evacuate your home, do so immediately.
• If waters start to rise inside your house, retreat to the highest floor, attic, and, if necessary, the roof.
• If you have come in contact with floodwaters, wash your hands with soap and water.
• Avoid walking through floodwater; as little as six inches of moving water can knock you off your feet.
• Do not drive through a flooded area. If you come upon a flooded road, take another route.
• Stay away from downed power lines or electrical wires.
• Look out for animals.
Horse Release Program
The Town is opening the Bergeron Rodeo Arena (4271 Davie Road, Davie, FL 33314) to serve as a holding area for residents who may have experienced flooding in their barns. The Arena will be open today, June 7, starting at noon. Residents are asked to bring the Coggins card (Department of Agriculture) for each horse, feed, water bucket and any additional items your horse will need. You will be required to complete a registration form onsite. Horses will remain hitched to secure railings throughout the arena. It is recommended that owners place an identifiable mark on their horse. To register, please contact Jeff Pohlman at 233-699-9422.
Waste Management Pickup
Due to the current rainfall, Waste Management may have interrupted and limited solid waste and bulk waste pickup. If you live along a street with significant standing water or a flooded street, please do not put out your solid or bulk waste. Please wait until your next scheduled day. If you have any questions regarding Waste Management pick-up, please contact the Town at 954-797-1045.
Town of Davie - Updated Information
For further information, you can call the Town’s Public Information hotline number at 954-797-1122 for recorded information, check the Town’s website (davie-fl.gov), like us on Facebook at Town of Davie, FL, Twitter @TownofDavie, or Instagram at townofdavie.