Posted on February 27, 2018
Basic Steps to Avoid the Flu
With the flu season in full swing, the Town of Davie and the Florida Department of Health want the community to be aware of some basic steps that can be taken to avoid the flu or to avoid infecting others. The advice applies to other airborne diseases as well.
3 steps to fight the flu:
- Get vaccinated – A yearly seasonal flu vaccine is an important step in protecting against the seasonal flu.
- Take everyday actions – Wash your hands often with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand cleaners.
- Cover your cough or sneeze into your sleeve or a tissue – Toss the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth – Germs spread this way.
- Avoid contact with sick people
- Take antiviral medicine if recommended – Stay at home if you are sick and take antiviral medicine if recommended by your healthcare provider.
Seasonal flu is a contagious respiratory illness caused by flu viruses. It spreads between people and can cause mild to severe illness. In some cases, the flu can lead to death. In the United States, flu season occurs in the fall and winter. Seasonal flu activity usually peaks in January or February, but it can occur as early as October and as late as May.
Click here to view the English and Spanish flyer.