FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NOV. 9, 2022, AT 1:15 P.M.
UPDATE #3: TOWN OPERATIONS UPDATE; HURRICANE WATCH AND TROPICAL STORM WARNING
Town municipal offices will close at 2 p.m. today.
DAVIE, Fla. - The Town of Davie remains under a Hurricane Watch and Tropical Storm Warning. Tropical Storm Nicole is expected to make landfall late tonight into early tomorrow morning north of Broward County as a Category 1 hurricane. Broward County is forecasted to experience winds of 30-50 mph with higher gusts possible and 2-6 inches of rainfall. Gusty winds are expected early this evening until Thursday afternoon. Do not focus on the exact track of Nicole since it is a large storm with hazardous conditions beyond its center and cone.
Please take note of the significant changes to the Town’s operations schedule for today, Nov. 9, 2022, below.
- The Town’s municipal offices will close at 2 p.m. today, Wednesday, Nov. 9 through noon tomorrow, Thursday, Nov. 10.
- As a reminder, the Town will not be distributing sandbags.
- A local State of Emergency is not in effect for Davie and the resident hotline has not been activated.
Parks and Special Events Updates
- All parks and facilities will close at 2 p.m. today.
- All sports fields, recreational activities and sports programming are canceled as of 2 p.m. today, Wednesday, Nov. 9 through tomorrow, Thursday, Nov. 10. at noon.
- All facilities including the Fitness and Aquatic Center and Pine Island Multipurpose Center will reopen tomorrow at noon.
- Parks will reopen following a storm impact rapid assessment.
- As of now, the Veterans Day Ceremony and Southeastern Circuit Finals Rodeo events scheduled for later this week will proceed as originally scheduled.
Solid Waste Services and Landscaping
- Currently, there are no changes to the solid waste services including curbside garbage collection and bulk pickup for this week.
- Residents residing in Bulk Zones 9 and 10, please continue to monitor the Town for any changes to the bulk schedule before putting items out for collection this week.
- Residents should refrain from cutting trees or doing additional landscaping projects until after this storm passes as changes to schedule may occur last minute due to the storm’s impact and severity.
- Coastal Waste and Recycling will complete regularly scheduled collections as long as drivers and crews can do so safely. Deteriorating weather could cause an abrupt cancellation of garbage and recycling collection service until the weather is favorable enough to resume those services safely.
- The Town is continuing to work with the South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) and Central Broward Water Control District to ensure that the respective water bodies are lowered in anticipation of the potential heavy rainfall.
- Due to the inclement weather, contractors should secure loose items or equipment that could become projectiles or be damaged because of the weather system.
Broward County Public Schools
- Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) and District offices are closed today and tomorrow.
There are multiple ways to register and stay informed about important information from the Town of Davie before, during and after an emergency event:
Residents are encouraged to monitor trusted news providers such as the National Weather Service Miami and the National Hurricane Center for the latest information.
The Town of Davie is committed to ensuring the safety of all persons and we are calling on you to prepare with us. Knowing your risk, getting prepared, and staying informed are just a few steps you can take.
Take this time to prepare by securing loose items, patio furniture and trash receptacles. For more information on disaster preparedness, visit www.davie-fl.gov/DaviePrepares.
Leona Henry, Intergovernmental Affairs Manager
Sussette Rodriguez, Public Relations Coordinator
Ariana Briceno, Public Relations Assistant