May 22, 2020 8:38 PM
Broward Expands Phase I Reopening - Beaches, Gyms & Hotels can Reopen with Restrictions on May 26
Broward County Administrator Bertha Henry issued Emergency Order 20-13 on Friday, May 22, 2020, which extends Phase 1 reopening guidelines to beaches, commercial gyms and fitness centers, hotels and other commercial lodging, with restrictions, effective Tuesday, May 26, 2020.
These re-openings are in addition to those outlined in Emergency Order 20-12 issued May 21, 2020. Because COVID-19 remains a serious threat to public safety, social distancing, facial covering and sanitation requirements remain in place for businesses that have reopened, and the individuals who patronize them.
Highlights of the new order include:
• All beaches can open with limited hours (sunrise to sunset). Ocean activities such as surfing, swimming, kayaking, paddle boarding and body surfing are allowed; also walking, running, and biking.
• Like other communities across the country, Broward beaches are not yet opening for picnicking, sunbathing, sitting, or lying on the beach. Group or organized sports (such as volleyball), umbrellas, canopies, chairs, loungers, and coolers are also not yet allowed, and no group gatherings of more than 10 people. Beachgoers must maintain social distancing (six feet of separation), except between members of the same household or groups.
• Commercial gyms and fitness centers, including but not limited to dance, martial arts, yoga, spinning and personal training studios can open, with adherence to the guidelines. This includes pools in those facilities, with restrictions.
• Hotels, motels, and commercial lodging establishments can open with adherence to guidelines. Staff is required to wear facial coverings and gloves for all customer-facing activities. Guests must wear facial coverings in all common areas. Ballrooms and other special function spaces remain closed. Proprietors are encouraged to post on their website, blog, or social media the steps they are taking to keep their guests safe.
• Pari-mutuel facilities (as defined by Florida Statutes Section 550.002(23), are to remain closed, except for when the establishment is being utilized for a use expressly permitted under a Broward County Emergency Order, or by a professional sports team to conduct or host a training, competition, event or game in accordance with the Governor’s Executive Order 20-123.
• Vacation rentals are open, but only for essential lodgers, as authorized by the Governor’s Executive Order 20-87.
• All businesses are still strongly encouraged to perform remote operations whenever possible and allow employees to utilize telework or other remote working methods that permit social distancing.
Davie Police and Code Enforcement staff will be monitoring the re-opening of businesses and working to ensure that businesses understand the re-opening guidelines and obtain cooperative compliance.
Residents are urged to continue to be vigilant as this reopening is not an indication that the pandemic is over. You must stay vigilant to keep yourself and others safe and so we do not have increased spread or a spike in COVID-19 cases.
For the latest updates regarding COVID-19, visit FloridaHealth.gov, email COVIDemail@example.com or call the COVID Call Center at 954-357-9500.
To update or register for Town-related updates and emergency notifications utilizing the following mediums:
• Town of Davie Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information on our Website
• Subscribe to Emergency Alerts - Everbridge
• Subscribe to Davie News and Announcements
• Text “AlertDavie” to 888-777 to get Everbridge Alerts.
• The Town of Davie resident hotline, 954-797-1122 is now active.