Flood Insurance

About Flood Insurance

Standard homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover losses due to floods. However, Davie is a participant in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which makes it possible for property owners to obtain federally backed flood insurance. This insurance is available to any owner of insurable property (a building or its contents) in Davie. Tenants may also insure their personal property against flood loss.

The approximate annual premium for flood insurance is $420. The actual cost will vary depending upon the amount of coverage and the degree of flood hazard. Residents can purchase policies up to $250,000 for their home and $100,000 for contents. Nonresidential structures can be protected up to $500,000 for the structure and $500,000 for contents. Renters can also purchase flood insurance up to $100,000 for their contents. We urge people who live or who own property in flood-hazard areas to purchase flood insurance to protect themselves from losses due to flooding. There is a 30-day waiting period before NFIP coverage takes effect. In addition, flood insurance is required in certain instances, such as the purchase of a home with a federally backed mortgage. More information about flood insurance can be found at: FloodSmart or FEMA.

Flood Zone Designations & FEMA Requests

The FIRM zone designations are based upon the 100-year flood. The 100-year flood is also referred to as the base flood. The 100-year flood is used by the NFIP as the basis for insurance requirements nationwide. A brief description of the FIRM zone designations and the flood insurance requirements are listed below.

Zone AE & AH

Properties in these zones fall within the 100-year floodplain. These zones are Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA), and flood insurance is required on all properties with federally backed mortgages.

Zone X & X500

Properties in this zone fall outside the 100-year floodplain. Flood insurance is not required by the federal government but may be required by the mortgage lender. Properties in the X500 zone fall outside the 500-year floodplain.

Residents can file a LOMA (letter of map amendment) or a LOMR (letter of map revision) to have their property removed from a special flood-hazard area. A LOMA can be filed when the lowest adjacent grade (the lowest ground touching the structure) is at or above the base flood elevation. In addition, the natural elevation cannot be altered by the placement of fill. A LOMR or a LOMR-F (with fill), can be filed when the lowest adjacent grade (the lowest ground touching the structure) is at or above the base flood elevation. A LOMR must be filed when the natural elevation has been altered or fill has been placed on the property.

Standard Flood Coverage Limits

1-4 Family Dwelling$250,000
Other Residential$500,000
1-4 Family Dwelling$100,000
Other Residential$100,000

* To obtain coverage information for dwellings located in high-risk areas (A and V Zones, Residential or Commercial) please contact a licensed insurance agent.

More Information

For more information, please call FEMA at 1-877-FEMA MAP (1-877-336-2627) or visit the FEMA Flood Insurance Mapping Page.

Updated April 26, 2023