Special Groups of Veterans

Homeless Veterans

Veterans Affairs' homeless programs constitute the largest integrated network of homeless assistance programs in the country, offering a wide array of services to help veterans recover from homelessness and live as self-sufficiently and independently as possible.

The VA Health Care for Homeless Veterans (HCHV) Program provides a gateway to VA and community supportive services for eligible Veterans. Through the HCHV Program, Veterans are provided with case management and residential treatment in the community. The program also conducts outreach to homeless Veterans who are not likely to come to VA facilities on their own.

The National Call Center for Homeless Veterans (NCCHV) assists homeless veterans, at-risk Veterans, their families and other interested parties with linkages to appropriate VA and community-based resources. The call center provides trained VA staff members 24 hours a day, seven days a week that assess a caller’s needs and connect them to appropriate resources. The call center can be accessed by dialing 1-877-4AID VET (1-877-424-3838).

VA Grant & Per Diem Program

The VA Grant and Per Diem (GPD) Program provides funds to nonprofit community agencies providing transitional housing (up to 24 months) and/or offering services to homeless veterans, such as case management, education, crisis intervention, counseling, and services targeted towards specialized populations including homeless women Veterans. The goal of the program is helping homeless Veterans achieve residential stability, increase their skill levels and/or income, and obtain greater self-determination.

Healthcare for Re-Entry Veterans (HCRV)

The Healthcare for Re-Entry Veterans (HCRV) Program offers outreach, referrals and short-term case management assistance for incarcerated veterans who may be at risk for homelessness upon their release.

For more information on VA homeless programs and services, Veterans currently enrolled in VA health care can speak with their VA mental health or health care provider. Other Veterans and interested parties can find a complete list of VA health care facilities at the veterans Affairs website, or they can call VA’s general information hotline at 1-800- 827-1000. If assistance is needed when contacting a VA facility, ask to speak to the Health Care for Homeless Veterans Program or the Mental Health service manager. Information is also available on the VA Homeless program Web-site at their website.

Housing and Urban Development-Veterans Affairs Supported Housing

Housing and Urban Development-Veterans Affairs Supported Housing (HUD-VASH) Program provides permanent housing and ongoing case management for eligible homeless veterans who would not be able to live independently without the support of case management. This program allows eligible veterans to live in veteran- selected housing units with a “Housing Choice” voucher. These vouchers are portable to support the veteran’s choice of housing in communities served by their VA medical facility where case management services can be provided. HUD-VASH services include outreach and case management to ensure integration of services and continuity of care. This program enhances the ability of VA to serve homeless women veterans, and homeless veterans with families.

Supportive Services for Low-Income Veterans Program

VA aims to improve very low-income Veteran families’ housing stability by providing supportive services to very low-income Veteran families in or transitioning to permanent housing. VA funds community-based organizations to provide eligible Veteran families with outreach, case management and assistance in obtaining VA and other benefits. Grantees may also provide time-limited payments to third parties (e.g., landlords, utility companies, moving companies and licensed child care providers) if these payments help Veterans’ families stay in or acquire permanent housing on a sustainable basis.

Compensated Work Therapy/Transitional Residence

(CWT/TR) Program, disadvantaged, at-risk, and homeless Veterans live in CWT/TR community-based supervised group homes while working for pay in VA’s CWT Program, to learn new job skills, relearn successful work habits, and regain a sense of self-esteem and self-worth.

World War II Era Merchant Marine Seamen

Certain Merchant Marine seamen who served in World War II may qualify for veterans benefits. When applying for medical care, seamen must present their discharge certificate from the Department of Defense. Call 1-800-827-1000 for help obtaining a certificate.

Allied Veterans Who Served During WWI or WWII

VA may provide medical care to certain veterans of nations allied or associated with the United States during World War I or World War II if authorized and reimbursed by the foreign government. VA also may provide hospitalization, outpatient care and domiciliary care to former members of the armed forces of Czechoslovakia or Poland who fought in World War I or World War II in armed conflict against an enemy of the United States if they have been U.S. citizens for at least 10 years.

VA Benefits for Veterans Living Overseas

VA monetary benefits, including disability compensation, pension, educational benefits, and burial allowances are generally payable overseas. Some programs are restricted. Home loan guaranties are available only in the United States and selected U.S. territories and possessions. Educational benefits are limited to approved, degree granting programs in institutions of higher learning. Beneficiaries living in foreign countries should contact the nearest American embassy or consulate for help. In Canada, contact an office of Veterans Affairs Canada. For information, visit their website.