Lobbyist Registration Information & Reporting Requirements
A lobbyist is a person who is retained, with or without compensation, for the purpose of lobbying or a person who is employed by another person or entity on a full-time or part-time basis, principally to lobby on behalf of that other person or entity. "Lobbyist" does not include a person who is:
- An elected official, employee, or appointee of Broward County or of any municipality within Broward County communicating in his or her official capacity
- An individual who communicates on his or her own behalf or on behalf of a person or entity employing the individual on a full-time or part-time basis, unless the individual is principally employed by that person or entity to lobby
- Any employee, officer, or board member of a homeowners' association, condominium association, or neighborhood association when addressing, in his or her capacity as an employee, officer, or board member of such association, an issue impacting the association or its members; or
- Any employee, an officer, or a board member of a nonprofit public interest entity (e.g., Sierra Club, NAACP, ACLU) when addressing an issue impacting a constituent of that entity
Required information to be filed.
At least twenty-four (24) hours prior to engaging in lobbying activities, every lobbyist shall register with the town by filing with the town clerk the following information in writing:
- The name, address, and telephone number of the lobbyist are required on every amended and supplemental registration. The "address" must be a physical address (e.g., not a post office box) where the lobbyist either resides or customarily does business.
- The nature and extent of any business, professional, or familial relationship that the lobbyist, or any member of the lobbyist's immediate family, has had with any municipal official or member of the immediate family of any municipal official within the period of time commencing twenty-four (24) months prior to registration and extending through the date of registration No disclosure would be required of any such relationship existing prior to the effective date of this article.
- The nature and extent of any involvement, activity, or assistance, whether paid or voluntary, by any lobbyist or any member of the lobbyist's immediate family with the current or most recent campaign of any current elected municipal official or current candidate for town council
- Name, address, and phone number of the lobbyist's principal(s), if known at the time of registration The "address" must be a physical address (e.g., not a post office box) where the principal either resides or customarily does business.
- The general and specific matters upon which the lobbyist intends to lobby, if known at the time of registration,
Registration runs from October 1 to September 30 of each year and shall be renewed for each year during which lobbying activities are to take place.
Only one (1) annual registration form is required per principal, per lobbyist. However, if any of the information required in the registration form is new or changed (for example, a new principal, as defined by this article, or a new specific subject of lobbying), then the lobbyist must supplement or amend the registration before additional lobbying.
Lobbyist Registration Fees:
One hundred and fifty dollars ($150.00) for each lobbyist and
One hundred dollars ($100.00) for each principal represented
To register, please complete the form below:
Broward County’s Ethics Requirements
Ordinance Ordinance No. 2015-55
In December 2015, the Broward County Commission amended its ethics ordinance with regard to lobbying activity in county and municipal governments in Broward County.
In accordance with the Broward County Ethics Ordinance, a lobbyist is responsible for reporting all contacts with town-elected officials, regardless of the location and form of contact for lobbying activity. Under the new rules, the contact form must be completed within three (3) business days after the lobbying activity occurs. The requirement to file a contact form is not limited to reporting in-person or face-to-face meetings but also includes reporting telephone calls, emails, or any other modes of communication used to lobby the town’s elected officials. Please be advised that communications with elected officials where no lobbying has occurred do not have to be reported.
To report lobbying activity, please complete the form below:
Lobbyist Registration Database
To view the current fiscal year (October 2, 2023, through September 30, 2024) lobbyist registrations, visit our Registered Lobbyist for FY 2024