Mayor Judy Paul
Judy Paul began serving the Town of Davie in 1998 as a District 4 Councilmember. After serving three terms, she took a two-year hiatus while remaining active in the community. In March 2009, Judy Paul was sworn in as the Town’s new Mayor and is currently serving her fourth term as a dedicated full-time mayor who is passionate about her service to the town.
Mayor Paul, an award-winning retired Broward County educator, holds a Master of Arts Degree from Montclair State College, New Jersey. Her educational background and dedication to children is evident in the many projects she initiated and supports within the Town.
Using Experience to Benefit the Community
Mayor Paul’s participation in the Town’s Youth, Education and Safety Advisory Committee (YES), the Parks and Recreation Programs, the Davie Police Explorer Program and Davie Police Athletic League (PAL) allows her to use her experience as a classroom teacher to benefit the community. Throughout the year, she visits local schools to read to classes, speak about the role of municipal government and attends various career days.
In addition, she developed the Mayor’s Scholarship Fund to recognize students interested in pursuing a career in public service. The Mayor’s scholarship awards two $500 scholarships to deserving graduating seniors interested in majoring and pursuing a career in public safety, public administration, law or other public service related fields.
Commitment to Community
As a proponent of diversity and inclusion, the Mayor has worked with numerous organizations, churches, temples and cultural entities to bring all people together. She has worked with Hispanic Vote and the Town, to encourage voter registration for our growing Hispanic population. Her collaboration with the Indian community established a location for the placement of the Mahatma Gandhi bronze statue at Gandhi Square in Falcon Lea’s Park. Each year the Indian Community gathers at the square to celebrate milestones in Gandhi’s life as well as the Independence of India. Championing the mission of The Davie Jazz Society (a private organization) in the creation of the Connectivity Corridor Compact, we see how music advances the fulfillment of the dream for including all people in the circle of life starting with Davie’s first Jazz Festival prior to the pandemic, to the Davie Jazz Society performing for hospitals, first responders and critical need workers during the pandemic and to 2022 with the pop-up music experiences at various businesses along the newly developed Downtown Davie.
Mayor Paul’s commitment to the entire Davie community is apparent via her tireless schedule that keeps her constantly interacting with Davie residents and advocating on their behalf. She has been a champion for the people of Davie who want to preserve the Town’s unique charm and character. As a proponent of the preservation of our environment, Mayor Paul works on many environmental projects. She completed the Master Gardener course and sought to save wildlife habitat through a variety of programs including NatureScape and the National Wildlife Federation.
As an avid equestrian and horse owner, the Mayor is committed to preserving the rodeo and its historical place in the Town as well as the more than 170 miles of equestrian trails. Not only is Davie prominently known as “Cowboy Town”, but the Mayor continues to work in preserving the equestrian community in an ever-changing world.
Friends of the Davie Farm Park
One of Mayor Paul’s lifelong dreams has become a reality with the creation of Governor Leroy Collins Farm Park. The park is located on 84 acres on Shotgun Road in western Davie. The Governor Leroy Collins Farm Park will be unlike any other park in South Florida. It will provide an unparalleled opportunity for youth and community programs, agriculture, nutrition, and environmental education, Davie’s history and will become the area’s most important agri-tourism destination. This is an initiative that Mayor Paul has always held near and dear to her heart.
Mayor Paul understands the importance of growing the Town’s tax base and has worked diligently to assure that preservation of historical roots and open space go hand in hand with economic development and the redevelopment of the Davie Road and State Road 7 corridors. Her vision is to redevelop the Davie Road corridor as a historic downtown district destination.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Area Agency on Aging and Disability Resource Center: Advisory Council Member
- Audubon Society: Member
- Broward County Farm Bureau: Member
- Davie Area Land Trust: Member
- Davie Rodeo Association
- Davie Woman’s Club: Member
- Flamingo Gardens: Member and Annual Contributor
- Junior Achievement of South Florida: Board of Directors - Legacy Council
- Old Davie School: Board member
- Sierra Club
- Soroptimist International of Davie: Member
- South Florida Trail Riders: Member
Awards and Recognitions
- Kerala Samajam Award for the commitment to Gandhi Square and the naming of Gandhi Rd., 2022
- Mahatma Gandhi Award for the Advancement of Pluralism, 2017
- Environmental Leadership Award for the United Nations Associations of Broward County, 2017
- Grand Achiever Award from the International Peace Council, USA 2017
- Received the Municipal Leader of the Year Award from Broward County Council of Professional Fire Fighters, 2017
- Public Servant of the Year from the Kiwanis Club of Davie and West Hollywood, 2016
- VIP Medal Host Committee Honorary Chair for the Maccabi Games and Arts Fest, 2015
- Broward County Pioneer, 2013
- Marriage Equality Champion Award - Dolphin Democrats, 2012
- Senior Hall of Fame, 2009
- Trailblazer of the Year - Broward Young Democrats, 2009