Broward County Facial Covering Requirements
The following facial covering requirements shall apply for all establishments, including all establishments providing essential services, essential businesses, or amenities permitted to operate in Broward County. Social distancing requirements must be maintained whenever possible even when facial coverings are worn; facial coverings are in addition to, and not a substitute for, appropriate social distancing. The facial covering requirements of Broward County Emergency Order 20-07 are hereby amended and replaced in their entirety with the following.
- Persons for whom Facial Coverings are Required. Except as stated in Section 3.B immediately below, facial coverings must be worn by the following persons:
- All persons in an establishment of any type that is permitted to operate under any Executive Order of the Governor or any Broward County Emergency Order, during in-person interactions with the public;
- Members of the public when obtaining any good or service or otherwise visiting any business or establishment, including entering, exiting, and otherwise moving around within the establishment;
- Any worker involved in the preparation of food is required to wear a facial covering regardless of whether they are conducting in-person interactions with the public, unless doing so would pose a hazard or health issue;
- To the extent expressly required by any Executive Order of the Governor or any Broward County Emergency Order, which may include additional facial covering requirements for specific activities.
- Persons for whom Facial Coverings are Not Required. The following persons are not required to wear facial coverings:
- Children under the age of two (2) should not wear a facial covering, and any child while under the custody of a licensed childcare facility, including daycare centers, is not required to wear a facial covering;
- Persons who have difficulty breathing or a medical condition that otherwise makes the wearing of a facial covering unsafe;
- Persons receiving goods or services from a business or establishment for the shortest practical period of time during which the receipt of such goods or services necessarily precludes the wearing of a facial covering (such as eating or receiving a facial grooming);
- Public safety, fire, and other life safety personnel, as their personal protective equipment requirements will be governed by their respective agencies;
- Any worker involved in the preparation of food only if doing so would pose a hazard or health issue;
- Persons for whom wearing a facial covering is subject to a religious objection; and
- Persons subject to an express exception in an applicable Executive Order of the Governor or a Broward County Emergency Order, solely while engaging in the expressly excepted activity.
- Facial Covering Guidelines. Facial coverings should cover the nose and mouth and comply with the CDC recommendations on selection, use, and sanitation of such coverings, which may be found at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019- ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html.
Disposing of Facial Coverings and Personal Protective Equipment
Facial coverings and other disposable personal protective equipment such as masks and gloves must be discarded properly; littering of facial coverings or other personal protective equipment is prohibited. As stated above, facial coverings requirements are in addition to, and not in place of, any social distancing requirements imposed by any applicable orders. The provisions of this Emergency Order shall serve as minimum standards, which must be adopted by all establishments as a condition precedent to operating.